This page has information on both the Armed Forces and the Police.
Click on the icon above to go to the NZ Defence web site
Defence Force careers are based upon training, education and operational experience. The result is longer-lasting, more flexible careers. Careers that adapt with the times, and that supply you with skills that are translatable to any workforce, be it military or civilian.
Click on the icon above to go to the NZ Police web site
There are a huge range of careers available within the NZ Police Force. If you are interested in finding out more, click here
There are now some pre-Police training courses available. These do NOT guarantee entry into the police force, but they do give you a leg up in terms of the skills and preparation needed for the police recruitment process.
check them out here: (click on the icons)
CareerNZ also has great information about how to become a police officer
THE QUALITIES THAT MAKE A COP
OK, forget the cop clichés or TV series stereotypes. We’re interested in you and what you could bring to the New Zealand Police, real people managing real situations with empathy and consideration for all involved.
Our organisation has a range of diverse people with different backgrounds, experiences and interests. What unites us is that we’re all are working towards the same goal. We want to make New Zealand the safest country in the World.
We welcome applications from anyone who’s got what it takes
Regardless of gender, ethnicity, culture, sexuality, or faith. We’re also very interested in applicants who understand different languages and cultures. New Zealand’s diversity is growing, so bring your background and values to the job.
You’ve got to have a serious desire to help
Above all else, you’ll want to help people in your community. You’ll need to be able to make tough calls, build community networks, and instil confidence in those around you. You’ll need an ability to understand the communities you serve and be able to identify and examine the problems that lead to trouble.
This role can influence the lives of many. If you decide to push ahead and apply, our constabulary recruitment staff will be looking to see if you have these important qualities:
- Outstanding communication skills
- Empathy for others
- Unwavering loyalty
- Problem-solving abilities
- A sense of humour is also pretty important.
You’ll need the ability to understand the communities you serve and be able to identify and examine the problems that lead to trouble.
Oh, and don’t worry about your height, as there are no minimum height requirements.
Here are the must-haves:
- You must be at least 17 years old to apply and 18 when you start at Police College, there’s no upper age limit
You must be a New Zealand or Australian citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency
- You must be able to speak, read, write and listen in English
- You must be physically fit
- You must have good eyesight (minimum visual standard of 6/12 unaided in each eye, correctable to 6/6 with contact lenses or glasses)
- And you must have a full New Zealand Driver’s Licence.
You’ll also need to:
- Let our recruitment staff know about any previous criminal or traffic convictions including warnings, court appearances, and diversions
- Provide police clearance for any other country that you have worked or lived in for longer than three months.