Gateway is funded by the Tertiary Education Commission, there are strict conditions around the programme delivery in Schools.
The Gateway programme provides an opportunity for students to learn, specifically in an Industry of their choice. They do this in a workplace environment, on a voluntary basis through our network of supportive Employers. Students get to experience hands on work and/or observation in that Industry of their choice, on a regular basis. Students will have compulsory Gateway unit standards taught at school, topics such as Health and Safety training; Employer rights and responsibilities and interview skills.
The Tertiary Education Commission fund this programme for schools to deliver. It is designed to:
- strengthen the pathway for students to progress from school to workplace learning
- provide students with structured workplace learning across a range of industries and businesses around New Zealand, while they continue to study at school
- deliver hands on, practical learning that can lead to nationally recognised qualifications
- builds students’ workplace experience, helping them move smoothly from school to work.
How to apply
Students who wish to apply for the Gateway programme must submit an application form and attend an interview. Prior to a work placement, students need to demonstrate to the Gateway Coordinator:
- a level of responsibility
- great attendance
- a work ready attitude
Gateway is available to support to senior secondary students (Year 11 to Year 13+)
For more information on Gateway, talk to your school’s Gateway co-ordinator.
The co-ordinator at Nelson College is:
Mrs Chris Phillips, (03) 548 3099 ext 720 email firstname.lastname@example.org