2020 Trades Academy Courses:
- Art Design and Digital Technology
- Automotive Engineering
- Creative Design for Hair and Makeup
- Mechanical Engineering
- Building and Construction Years 1 & 2
- Hospitality year 1
- Hospitality year 2
- Sport and Exercise
- Adventure Tourism Leadership level 2 and 3
- Environmental Science level 3
- Health and Support Services levels 2/3
- Uniformed Services level 2
- Civil Defense Emergency Operations
- Manaaki Tapoi, Cultural Leadership level 2 and 3
- Tourism Operations level 3
BOLD courses above. For Nelson College students, it is highly recommended that students enroll in the Nelson College timetabled equivalent course, unless there is a timetabling clash. See your Dean or Mrs Phillips in Careers hub.
Students who are selected to be a part of the TOTSTA Trades Academy will train one day a week (usually Friday) at NMIT’s Nelson campus, or at live-in ‘block’ courses at Whenua Iti Outdoors (16 days total).
The courses are NZQA Level 2 and Level 3, students can only be funded for one course per year – it is very popular to do the level 2 course in year 12 and the level 3 option in year 13.
Attendance is a crucial aspect. Accepted students are fully funded and will take up one placement on the programme, as places are limited to 20 overall for Nelson College.
Students apply through their own school for a place in the Academy. As numbers are limited, students will be interviewed before placements are made.
Applications are required by November of the year prior to attending.
Email or talk to Mrs Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org, Check out the stand at your subject selection evening in August.
These courses are all FREE to the student.
For further information about the Top of the South Trades Academy, visit the TOTSTA website